The storms ended early enough for our tent to dry off by morning and we were able to cook a yummy breakfast of coffee and oatmeal before getting back on the water. 

Early morning journaling while the water boils

The tedium of packing and unpacking gear each night and morning can sometimes become therapeutic, as routine can be. Teton likes to pay close attention to the way each item is packed and its necessity of ease of access throughout the day. It is almost a game to see how efficient one can be with their day to day handling of gear. Where should lunch food go for a quick picnic on the shore in a few hours? How can I keep the towels I might need later in the day dry, while still being able to access them quickly and easily if needed? 30+ days of trial and error might result in a perfectly packed kayak expedition for Teton.

After debating the placement of the camera for today, Teton decided to try out the pole mount on the rear of his boat, fashioned from a broomstick and a flag mount.  

Peaceful paddling on Third Lake

It was fun to explore the inlets connecting the lakes together. The waterways are definitely preferred to the land portages from one body of water to the next.  We made our way easily through First, Second, Third, and Fourth lakes while viewing the many interesting cabins and Adirondack architecture on the shorelines.

Fourth Lake's Shoal Point Lighthouse

We landed at Arrowhead Park in the town of Inlet, NY for a picnic lunch and water refill. This was public beach access near rentable beachside cabins along with tennis courts and many businesses close by.

Bagel sandwiches for lunch at the north end of Fourth Lake, town of Inlet's Arrowhead Park. 

A narrow curvy inlet led us through Fifth Lake to our first portage (New Yorkers call it a carry). We figured out how to strap our wheel carts to our boats and started hauling.

The first carry of the NFCT from Fifth Lake to Sixth Lake was our first introduction to portaging. 

Teton signs into the NFCT logbook. 

Moose preps her outfit for the portage.

My rental cart was quite unfit for this terrain. Shortly after we began walking, I felt my boat fall behind me and looked to see the kayak turned over and one wheel on the ground. It turns out the wheel was missing a piece to keep it connected. We put it back on as best we could and kept going, waiting for the wheel to fall off again. 

It did not take long to find out our gear was a bit lacking for the circumstances. 

Leaving the dirt road for a sidewalk was helpful. We continued the .6 mile walk, which seems much further when carrying a heavy kayak full of gear. My wheel lasted right up until the gas station, when it collapsed again, this time taking off rolling down the road. I looked both ways before running after it. Luckily, we were able to search the gas station convenient store for a fix. Gorilla tape would have to do for now! 

Carting our boats along Route 28 to Sixth Lake.

Thankful to see water, we found Sixth Lake. Taking some time to put our gear back in its place, we entered back into the comfort of the water. 

Markers like the one pictured lead paddlers through their carries.  

As the sun was lowering in the sky, we checked the map for possible upcoming campsites. It looked like Seventh Lake was going to be the destination. We easily found the lean-to listed on the map and landed our boats on the shore of the island. Some day-time canoers from the campground on the mainland were fishing off the island, so we took a swim while they packed up their things. 

We end our day on an island in Seventh Lake.

Landing at camp early in the evening meant we had time to build our first fire of the trip. It was a beautiful night as we sat fireside, cooking our well-deserved dinners. 

Second night's campsite view

While we ate dinner, the almost full moon rose over the trees, giving us some peaceful entertainment for the rest of the evening. 

Full moon rising over camp